23.5.07

Talking about: a new radio show

I met up with 2XXfm music afficionado and all round good guy Jerry Schwab last night to chat about working together on a new show.

Apparently there is a slot on Thursday nights between 9.30 and 11pm that the current presenters are having trouble filling and we're looking at moseying on in if they decide to give it up.

There are a number of gaps in the 2XXfm programme, somewhat surprisingly when you think about it, so if you've ever had a hankering to do a bit of radio and share your musical tastes with the ACT community, the time is right.

Here are some of the finer details from an email Jerry has sent to station management

Provisional title: Lost Highway

It's hard to categorise the music we want to play but some of the terms that I've run across include: alt.country, americana, insurgent country, neotraditional, cowpunk,lo-fi country, roots rock, ...the list goes on and on.

I suspect we would have very little overlap with current 2XX programming.

Colin and I have different (though I think complimentary) tastes and my knowledge of music in this stream is probably North American focused; I think Colin will be able to extend my knowledge and the shows content to include more Australian artists. Some of the types of artists that I would play include Steve Earle, Paul Kelly, Lambchop, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch, The Handsome Family, Kathleen Edwards, Wilco, Son Volt, Be Good Tanyas, Neko Case, Calexico, Iron&Wine, Dave Alvin, Arcade Fire, Blue Rodeo, Kelly Joe Phelps...

Types of labels we would try to build links to: Lost Highway, Anti, YepRock, Nonesuch, Bloodshot.or their Australian distributors.


Stay tuned for more details - it could be interesting though - Jerry has a good ear for music and while this isn't the only type of music I like, there is a lot of interesting stuff in this scene that hopefully there is an audience for.