24.5.07

Listening to: Kimya Dawson - I like giants

Peter Raftos played a beautiful song on 2XX this morning that made me come straight to the computer to google the lyric and find out more. (I waited to see if he was going to back-announce the track but he went into a new one).

It was I like giants by Kimya Dawson (one time Moldy Peach)

I'm not 100% sure what it was about the song that grabbed me - it's a quickly sung anti-folk/punk-folk (remember that movement?) ditty about putting your life into context and it's just so quirky, poetic and thoughtful that I had to share it.

(Of course, the odds are now that I'm actually the last person online to discover this song and everyone else is going - yeah duh :)

Here's the last verse

we all become important when we realize our goal
should be to figure out our role within the context of the whole
and yeah, rock and roll is fun but if you ever hear someone
say you are huge look at the moon, look at the stars, look at the sun
look at the ocean and the desert and the mountains and the sky
and say i am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye
i am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye
i am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye
and i don't wanna make her cry

'cause i like giants.


You can listen to the nicely recorded version at her Myspace page - http://profile.myspace.com/kimyadawson


or if all that clicking is too hard, here's a version from YouTube. (The sound is a little muddy in this one though)