10.9.07

Wearing: Silence is golden, tape is silver tshirt




Growing up in a shiftworker house, where quiet time during the day is a must, I'm a quiet person. I've also always been a relatively curious person I think, with a broad interest in a lot of things that go on around me and a desire to understand the hows and whys behind them.

It's for this reason that it's my personal conviction that many people talk too much and don't listen anywhere near enough. (When I say listen, I mean genuinely listen as well, not just plan what you are going to say next while you wait for the other person to stop talking)

So here's my crackpot theory #56 - our ears/mouth ratio should reflect the listening/talking that we do. In a conversation between 2 people then, you spend a 1/3 of the time speaking and 2/3s of the time listening. Obviously this means that 1/3 of this time would be in silence where you can both reflect on what you've both been saying - what it means, how they feel about it, how you feel about it, why you said it and whether the other person wanted to hear it in the first place.

Then again, sometimes I just get like this when I've been earbashed by someone when all I wanted to do was read the paper in peace. :)

Anyway, this is why I like the tshirt that the PC got me a while back - while it might seem to have a slightly sinister tinge to it, I think there's a lot to be said for quiet reflection and just stfu'ing.

(I'm not sure how this applies to blogging though)