18.9.07

LOLing: Workplace Ad Parody (hmatkin)

I've mentioned before that I'm a fan of the mashup - remixing or re-editing one existing media product to give it a new (often funnier or more accurate) spin.

This YouTube clip by hmatkin is a fantastic example. Our conservative government radically changed industrial relations laws recently to move workers away from collectively negotiated agreements to individual contracts - and they've spent tens of millions of dollars trying to sell this to an increasingly unhappy public.



There are a lot of things I like about this ad - it's brazen and funny, it's just as political as the supposedly apolitical tax-payer funded version and in spite of some slightly rough editing it makes the point very well.

One of the things it made me think about is the way the government ads use post-it notes to convey their message. The way I see post-it notes, they're very temporary things, generally whipped up very quickly with little thought and they're easy to change. If I had the time, I'd explore this - something along the lines of "Your rights - guaranteed by post-it note" - this isn't exactly it, but you get the gist.

Alas, I has uni work to press on with.

Here are a couple more hmatkin clips.