13.4.07

Saying goodbye: Kurt Vonnegut Jr (1922 - 2007)



No doubt you've seen the stories now that Kurt Vonnegut Jr died on Wednesday as a result of injuries sustained in a fall a few weeks ago - this isn't so much about news as saying thanks old man and farewell.

I don't claim to have great insight into the man or his writings - I read many of them in my teens and I'd say that a revisit is well in order as I got the feeling at the time that while I really liked what he had to say (and the darkly satirical and often out there ways he did so), I was missing a lot of things.

I remember being impressed with the way that he managed to create a whole world across his books, with minor (and major) characters bobbing up in unexpected places and this under the surface sense that this was a world quite similar to ours but different in many ways.

There was an interview with him on Jon Stewart's The Daily Show recently where he took these amazing logical twists and turns and was a fascinating guest that Stewart had trouble keeping up with and I highly recommend taking a few minutes to check it out.