15.2.07

Watching: BattleStar Galactica




I figured that if I was going to be a single geek on Valentine's Day, I should act like one :)

Possibly the geekiest thing about Battlestar Galactica (BSG) is the fact that the I.T genius just happens to be shagging - either in flashback or imagination - the most attractive woman in the show (far right of pic) and is now working his moves on the second most.(middle of pic) (Actually, for the record, I find the first one a little disturbingly masculine for my tastes but I'm sure fanboys across the 'tubes feel differently).

But seriously, while it's very early days yet, I'm really enjoying this show (and not just for the nerd wish-fulfilment reasons above) - BSG is actually well written sci-fi (sf) with a lot of interesting ideas.

The current trend in American sf towards quite militaristically themed programmes is unfortunate perhaps (a little too rah-rah army) but unavoidable given the leanings of the U.S govt of late (and the so-called "War on Terror").

BSG however has made the most of this with some interesting insights into the ethical issues involved in dealing with possible suicide bombers and enemy-within paranoia. (I'm looking forward to their examination of Abu Ghraib style interrogation).

While I'm yet to see it, from what I've read, as the story progresses the evil robotic Cylons come more and more to represent the US forces in Iraq while the plucky humans act like the insurgents.

Now maybe this is just one skewed view of the development of the story but I've read this in a few places (none of which spring to mind of course or I'd link to them) so I'm prepared to accept this as true.

This is one of the things I really like about the SF genre (and the horror genre as well for that matter) - because they are somewhat marginalised, put into the too-nerdy-to-take-seriously basket, you'll often find that they contain some of pop cultures most incisive social commentary.

I'll keep you posted on my adventures in geekdom.