25.6.08

Enjoying: Snarky Amazon comments about a $500 audio cable



The Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable is a 1.5 metre cable designed for digital audio.

Advertising for the cable lists these features:

* Dedicated DENON LINK cable made of high-purity copper wire
* Get the purest signal from multi-channel DVD and CD playback through Denon receiver
* Connector and cable structure designed to thoroughly eliminate adverse effects from vibration
* Rounded plug lever on connector to prevent bending or breaking
* Measures 1.5 meters long (59 inches)


It costs $US 499.

Not surprisingly, this has somewhat amused the knowledgeable nerd community, who believe that it is no different from a $US 5 dollar CAT networking cable and have bombarded the product review section of Amazon.com with some hilarious snark.

A caution to people buying these: if you do not follow the "directional markings" on the cables, your music will play backwards. Please check that before mentioning it in your reviews.


After I took delivery of my $500 Denon AKDL1 Cat-5 uber-cable, Al Gore was mysteriously drawn to my home, where he pronounced that Global Warming had been suspended in my vicinity.

Yes, I had perfect weather: no flooding, no tornadoes, the exact amount of rain necessary, and he pronounced sea levels exactly right and that they were not going to rise within five miles of my house.

Additionally, my cars began achieving 200 mpg and I didn't even need gasoline. I was able to put three grams of cat litter into the tank and drive forever.



Ooh - looks like Denon didn't like the feedback they were getting - and the fact that they have been made a laughing stock by the geekistocracy. The site and all the reviews appear to have been pulled from Amazon as I was collecting quotes.

Oh well.