6.9.07

WTFing: Compulsory employee microchipping is now illegal

I read the other day that California has passed a law that
would bar employers from requiring workers to have identification devices implanted under their skin

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a good thing to ban - what I want to know is how society gets to a point where business might think that effectively branding employees might be considered an acceptable practice. Given that these rfid microchips could be used to track workers wherever they go, it's a horrendous proposition.

I'm also impressed by the fact that
Nine senators opposed the measure, including Bob Margett (R-Arcadia), who said it is premature to legislate technology that has not yet proved to be a problem. "It sounded like it was a solution looking for a problem," Margett said. "It didn't seem like it was necessary."

Of course, I wouldn't be expecting any similar kind of protection under Workchoices II if Howard wins the next election.

(Thanks to one of the commenters on the riot-act for this nugget)