8.1.07

Which one's pink?


I had a bit of a Pink Floyd The Wall moment this morning when I decided to shave off the moustache that I'd been growing since the start of November.

You know the scene where Bob Geldof comes out of his drug/alcoholic haze and gets ready for the show by shaving all the hair on his body (thereabouts)? Well obviously I didn't go that far but having had this very large fuzzy caterpillar taking up a fair proportion of my face for the last few months, it's sudden absence was much odder than I'd expected.

I mean, logically I was returning to the face I'm most familiar with so you could imagine it would work as a happy homecoming but everything just looked a little small, bald and odd. Big puffy cheeks and a tiny tiny mouth surrounded by blank skin.


That said, I've adjusted to it already so it can't be that big a deal but it was really quite a surprise. (Maybe I'll go and shave off the eyebrows as well then? :)

Bit of wikipedia trivia (that I'm not 100% about but here goes anyway) - the aforementioned shaving scene was based on something Syd Barrett did during the recording of Wish you were here.

I had a fascination with Pink Floyd The Wall as I was growing up - the movie came out in 1982 when I was in Grade 5 and living in a family with shall I say conservative musical tastes I wasn't exposed to much in the way of rock. (Never watched Countdown).

I did from time to time though see the odd video clip that they would stick on during the afternoon cartoons and in particular one from The Wall, with Gerald Scharfs brilliant animated fascistic marching hammers among other things and in particular the lyrics "We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control", which kind of blew my mind at the time and I think probably was an early spark to whatever sense of rebellion I still carry.

Blogged with Flock