3.1.07

Yes we have no bananas

I don't know what it is about this song that has managed to wedge itself firmly in my brain for at least the last 20 years but it's still there and it still manages to pop up time and time again - most recently this morning when I found ripe bananas on sale for $3.28 kg - the first time I've seen them at a price I was happy to pay for pretty well a year. (Since cyclone Larry wiped out the QLD banana crop)


The other thing with this song is that the version I recall is mashed up with another one (possibly done by Rodney Rude which is set in a pet shop where they don't have any chihuahuas - fragments of lyrics (which I have possibly improvised) come to mind here such as "We've dalmations, alsations, the fruits of a flirtation, and half pint pekinese if you can pay" - or something along those lines anyways.)


I think it's the rhythm of the thing that has made it stick - or the melody perhaps - or do I mean the same thing?


Funny how the mind works.


Ah, good ole Wikipedia tells me that this song dates back to the 1920s and a gentleman by the name of Sigmund Spaeth suggested that the melody could have been derived from a combination of parts of other songs including the Hallelujah Chorus from the Messiah by Handel, "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean" and "I Dreamt I Slept in Marble Halls.

Here's an audio clip if you're curious.

Blogged with Flock